Sunday, March 10, 2013

First Boss Character

I've been jotting down different ideas for bosses and the power-ups that they would leave behind so i wanted to start with the most fleshed out idea i had. This is the "Sweatin to the oldies" boss. The original idea was to design a skinny character wearing a basketball outfit. This guy could blow himself up like Mr. Fantastic and bounce around the level trying to trample my hero character. As i began drawing him, over and over and over again, I ended up with a fat dude in a leisure suit which i find a lot more comedic than basketball gear. Who has time to watch a full basketball game anyway! Go Eagles! I started by looking at a ton of photos of people doing cannonballs since i knew that my characters special ability would be to bounce around in this pose. I also looked at a lot of Zangeif and E. Honda from Street fighter to nail down an idle pose. It also makes me feel all warm and toasty to look at a ton of street fighter along the way since i grew up playing the hell out of it at the local chinese store. The entire store was a bulletproof wall with people behind it and a street fighter 2 arcade game. Im glad to bring those memories back into my work. 




No comments:

Post a Comment